Week 13: 11/19

Reading Journal: The Divine Comedy of Hell (Canto 1-8)

What was mainly interesting to me was how they introduced each stage of where you go after death between heaven and the different types of hell. For example, there is a “First Circle of Hell” referred as the Limbo, this is represented for souls who were virtuous but born B.C.E. or people who were never baptized (Canto 3).  Some of the souls that were included here were Homer, Noah, Abel, Aristotle, Socrates, Euclid and etc. Another stage of hell was represented by the “Gate of Hell”, this was where the souls who were neutral and did not side with God or Satan were included , so both sides denied them entrance (Canto 2). There is also a “Second Circle of Hell” which is another stage of Hell, where the punishment is greater and sinners take place here (Canto 5). Some of the known people included there were Cleopatra and Helen from Trojan War. The “Third Circle of Hell” is where Dante and Virgil face a three headed dog (Canto, 6). Then, the ” Fourth Circle of Hell” was where Dante and Virgil faced the demon Plutus. This includes corrupt clergymen, popes and etc (Canto 7). The Fifth Circle of Hell included a tall tower bursting with flames. This was interesting to me and caught my attention because it describes what each of these stages represent and what Dante and Vigil face. It is also interesting to realize what kind of people are in each stage of Hell, especially the well known ones.

Virgil is a helping hand for Dante throughout his journey in Hell, because he often introduces him to the ideas of each occurence, which is why Dante refers to him as his lord or master. Every time Dante did not know about something, Virgil would explain it, so that Dante can have an insight of each stage. For instance, “then said my courteous master, “see my son, all those who die beneath odds righteous ire from every country come here, every one” (Canto 3. 121-123). In addition, Dante seems to be very open to learn more about this world and what occurs. In Canto four, he states “tell me, sir–tell me, Master” (Canto 3, 46). This conveys how Dante is curious about the world that they are in and wants Virgil to expand his knowledge on it. This caught my attention, because I think that Dante having a helping hand is fundamental because this way he can be aware of what is happening and be aware of his surroundings. In other words, Virgil is beneficial to Dante because he helps him learn about all of the aspects of each environment they encounter.