Week 1: 8/27

Rig Veda: page 25

Based on the text, I believe a lot of parts in this reading generated different kind of thoughts in my head, and caught my attention on what the author was interpreting about the universe. To begin with, one of the parts that caught my attention in the reading was when the author would bring  up a point by mentioning how the world was before. For instance, “There was no night nor day” ( Rig Veda, Line 1), the author made me think about the universe just being one solid picture with no changes. In other words, Rig Veda caught my attention by making the universe sound neutral in a way. This is also because he delineates “darkness was hidden by darkness; with no distinguishing signs, all was water” (Rig Veda,, Line 3-4); which made me visualize how the universe would actually be if everything was just one certain way, with no differences.

Rig Veda and his choice of statements challenged my beliefs/religion in a way, because Rig Veda did not mention religion, it mainly questioned its existence instead. Not only that, but the authors tone sounded uncertain about the universe, how it came about, and who was behind it all because of the way that he questions ” whence this creation has arisen–perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not?” (Rig Veda, Line 7). Adding on to that, I have also thought about the different possibilities of how this universe was created out of curiosity. However, being Catholic– my belief of god has always dominated those thoughts. I could understand Rig Veda’s curiosity, but with my perspective I have religion that I lean towards to. Whereas, Rig Veda does not lean towards anything, and instead questions different aspects, because of his uncertainty.

1 thought on “Week 1: 8/27