Week 7: 10/10

In the King James Bible Matthew chapters 9 to 17, what caught my attention was how the Pharisees were trying to depict Jesus as unethical for picking and eating grain from the Sabbath. For example, “when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day” (Matthew, 12:2). Pharisees was attempting to destroy Jesus, which makes it seem as if he is envious of Jesus powers of being able to heal others. Due to his bitterness, he tries to make Jesus not as good as everyone thinks he is and then tries to plot an idea to destroy him. For instance, ” Pharisees went out, and had council against him, how they might destroy him” (Matthew, 12:14). This caught my attention because it delineates negative conflict between Jesus and others, regardless if Jesus was able to heal others, some people were still out to get him and make him look morally wrong.

In addition, what also caught my attention was the death of John the Baptist. John the Baptist was sent to be killed and have his head in a charger. Heron promised his daughter anything for her birthday, and she asked for John Baptist dead and brought evidence under her mothers desires. As an example, “Give me here John Baptist’s head In a charger” (Matthew, 14:8). This shows how her mother–Herodia, was angry based on Johns belief of Herod should not marry his brothers wife Herodia, and that is why she decides to kill him. In Matthew 14, John first initiates his belief ” it is not lawful for thee to have her”(Matthew, 14:4)  and this is why Herodia instructs her daughter to wish for her father to have John the Baptist dead, ” instructed of her mother, give me here John Baptist head in a charger” (Matthew, 14:8). This caught my attention because it surprised me that this conflict would be taken to this extent. It emphasizes the characters intentions and how they take matters into their own hands, based on what others say.