Week 11: 11/6

Reading Journal: Macbeth Act 1

A part that caught my attention in Scene one from Act one was being able to depict Rosse, a Scottish Nobleman’s characterization, and with that being able to also characterize Macbeth. Rosse seems to be filled with joy due to a victory that they have encountered. The victory was against the Thane of Cawdor and Rosse explains to the Duncan whom is the King of Scotland how everything unfolded. Rosse states ” Confronted him with self comparisons, point against point, rebellious arm ‘ against arm, the victory fell on us; Great Happiness! (Act 1, lines 55-59). This conveys that Rosse is obedient because he told the King the good news and how it all occurred for him to be aware. Not only that, but he seems to be prideful because of his reaction by saying “great happiness” towards the victory. Macbeth is also portrayed as a hero because Rosse describes him as a fighter that led them to the victory. This caught my attention because with this single quote, I was able to analyze a characterization towards Rosse being obedient and prideful and Macbeth being a hero and a fighter.

In addition, another part that caught my attention was in Act one where the captain states “For brave Macbeth (well he deserves that name)” (Act 1, line 16). This quote expresses how Macbeth is viewed as a courageous individual, and they are saying it suits him. With this being said, it also contributes to Macbeths character, Macbeth is illustrated as an hero that is courageous. In other words, the characters such as Captain and Rosse have depicted Macbeth as a “typical hero” with brave attributes in this play.